5 Reasons to Ditch the Scale and Focus on Getting Fit Instead
Why I Think It is Better to Focus on Getting Fit Than Losing Weight
If you are running for weight loss that is awesome, especially if you have a significant amount of weight to lose. Obesity is a massive health crisis that leads to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, arthritis, joint replacement and more. Running can be a great way to lose weight, get in control of your health and change your life in the process but you have to approach running intelligently and with the right mindset to get any of the rewards.
So how do you do it?
It all starts with how you set your weight loss and running goals because that will dictate the action you decide to take to achieve that weight loss goal.
If you are running for weight loss is your goal to lose 50 lbs or to get freaking FIT?
Can you feel the energy difference between those two goals?
I encourage all my runners to set dream driven positive , emotionally charged goals that has them to focus on taking consistent action and getting FIT versus negative, objective based, boring goals focused around numbers on the scale and scanning the internet looking for more information on the latest fad diet.
When your goal is “to lose 50 lbs”, to me, this is negative, boring and doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Motivating yourself by reducing numbers on the scale causes you to track and measure your progress based on the difference between what you weigh now and what you want to weigh. You are always left focused on that gap. Real weight loss takes effort, patience and time and when you are always looking at the gap between where you are now and how far you are from where you want to be, it is easy to get overwhelmed, frustrated and eventually quit because you feel you aren't making progress fast enough.
The other way you can set your goal is by focusing on getting FIT. This sounds more like this:
“I want to train to crush a 5k and do everything I can to cross that finish line feeling strong and badass like I never have before.”
That is dream driven, emotionally charged and positive. It will get you excited and you should seek out a great training program and get the structure you need to take action. You will be able to measure your progress by the workouts you put in and the small changes you see and feel as you train to get fit that have nothing to do with your weight on the scale. You will feel momentum, energy and you will keep your motivation high as you celebrate each workout and each healthy, home cooked meal as you are able to constantly look back and measure your success by how far you have come. That builds momentum, self confidence and more energy to keep training.
Can you feel the energy difference between setting a goal to get fit versus setting a goal to lose weight?
Will I lose the weight if I focus on getting fit though?
Yes. Here are 6 other reasons you I think you should keep your focus on getting FIT and running strong instead of simply losing weight:
- Getting fit is more fun than trying to lose weight. When you focus on weight loss you often go to diets thinking you need to eat less, count calories and restrict potentially entire food groups. There is nothing fun about that! When you focus on getting fit, you set yourself a goal, get a plan, crush workouts, get faster, run longer, nourish your body with lots of nutrient dense food that tastes delicious and fuels you up and you get addicted to the feeling of rising energy for life. Your body moves from dieting induced starvation mode to efficient fat burning, muscle building, calorie shredding machine that only a good quality run training program can do for you. Trust me, skinny does not feel nearly as good as running strong does.
- You will lose weight along the way anyway because when you focus on getting fit, you are committing to get into training. You may find yourself getting a coach, following a high quality, holistically based training plan that includes the workouts and the nutrition strategies that will actually get you results that last. When you set dream driven, emotionally charged, positive goals to get fit and you put in the work, the motivation, energy and momentum you feel will keep you consistent in your efforts. You will create healthy lifestyle habits that you get addicted to. You replace dreading workouts with looking forward to them and this consistency and love for living a healthy lifestyle will get you the weight loss you want and more importantly, it will stay off. That will feel amazing.
- You will be healthier because you are working out and loving it, eating more nutritious food that fuels your body from the inside out and you are incorporating healthy habits into your routines as you take on a fit lifestyle. You will begin to think and feel like an athlete getting lean and strong for life. That is amazing.
- You will enjoy food again and learn to eat it for nutrition, energy and fuel. You will never have to suffer through another diet again or fear food. You will learn how to tune into your hunger and feed your body what it needs not just what your cravings want. You will free yourself from food guilt, anxiety and unhappiness around food in general. Seriously, training to get fit and learning about real nutrition strategies is life changing and your body and mind will adjust as a result.
- You will be happier and your stress will go down. When you commit to getting fit, you will get all the emotional health benefits of leading a physically active and nourished healthy lifestyle. Exercise is seriously the most underutilized antidepressant. The effects of living a fit lifestyle go far beyond weigh loss when you can shift the focus and tune into all the other good stuff that happens as you put in the work and get fit. In a survey, Runner’s World Magazine asked its readers why they run. 95.3% said because it makes them feel good mentally and 85.8 said for stress relief.
- You will get your mama hormones back in balance and you will naturally tap into your bodies innate FAT BURNING abilities...without dieting or excessive physical training. That is going to feel A-MAZING!!!
BOOM. I started running years and years ago to lose weight. I did the calorie restrictions, tried carb cycling, tracking and measureing my macros, whole 30 and hated every second of being so focused on food. I struggled with energy, insane sugar cravings and food guilt. I never shed the weight and I never ran faster and stronger. When I actually focused on how to eat, followed a holistic training program that included every aspect of becoming a fit and healthy runner from the inside out that included strength workouts, core workouts, speed sessions, nutrition strategies based on healthy habits, macro nutrition and how to boost performance, mindfulness, understanding hormones and how to manage them to help my body shed fat, I got into the best shape of my life.
When I ditched the scale and got into training to get FIT and all the weight came off. I got my energy back, crushed my sugar cravings and was better able to handle all aspects of my life because I felt amazing from the inside out. Now I train you how to do the same without long, boring cardio sessions, complicated gym workouts or restricting anything you love, like wine or chocolate!!!
Are you interested in training with me and joining my onlinehealth, wellness and run training program to improve your health, your body composition and your running perormance so you can start feeling and looking your best? Get on teh waitlist to get all the details, a quick action discount and some amazing bonuses for saying YES to your health now. Get ready to ditch the scale and train to get FIT instead. JOIN HERE.
Strong is the new skinny!
Founder of The RunningMoms Wellness Training Academy
Stalk me for more tips, tricks and insider views into my life as a RunningMom here:
PS. Other non scale victories of training to get fit may include but are not limited to:
- Your clothes fitting better.
- You loving that reflection in the mirror.
- You standing taller.
- You having more energy.
- You feeling your sexy coming back.
- You being able to chase your kids.
- You may find yourself wanting to run a longer race and feeling you can crush it.
- You may start LOVING exercise and your body.
- You may feel like you can do just about anything.
PPS. If you are REALLY ready to focus on getting fit and shedding FAT, you can also grab my brand new "Beginners Guide to Fat Burning for Runners" HERE and get on my email list for continued tips and strategies that will get your body into fat burning mode without stressing about the scale.